Reaching out to Media
Standard Press Release:
- Make sure to have all the relevant contact information, with a reminder to follow you on social.
- Have a date, time, location, speakers, and who they are.
- Remember the perfect times, early in the week Mon-Wed., 10-2 for events.
- Give them everything you can, quality pictures, information, timelines, background.
- Make the main press release one page long.
- Make sure you tell them what the message is – why is this interesting, innovative, and relevant.
- Who are your experts? Talk them up, why are they so great? Why do people need to hear from them?
- Do you have neat opportunities, getting in to a lab for pictures, video from the field, pictures they can use.
- Hand them the story you want to see.
- What is your research? Why is it so interesting and relevant?
- Remember the four things people care about: Money, Health, Safety, Family.
- Follow all the Indigenous Organizations outlined. (Terry add those in a separate contact)
- Tweet them the link to your press releases.
- Put them on Facebook.
- Create a calendar and share it with media.
- Generate a buzz.
- Follow them. Like their stories. Comment. Media have traffic numbers they need to hit quarterly.
- Never send out a story or release on any platform if no one has time to respond.
- Never be vague.
- Don’t let others control your message.
- Don’t sweat controversy. Manage it.
- Take control in an interview. If the reporter is off topic – bring them back. And know exactly what you want to say and don’t let someone put words in your mouth.
- Stick to what you know, never speculate.
- Don’t forget to return calls.
- Don’t make communication the last thing you do. Always follow up, call, comment, and correct errors.
104 Useful Twitter Accounts
@_msdobson Ms. Dobson (Payepot school class grade 5-6)
@1NationDist 1 Nation Distribution
@211sask 211 Saskatchewan
@Aboriginal_Link Aboriginal Link®
@AboriginalLYNX LYNX Program
@AboriginalPress Aboriginal News Group
@aboriginaltweet Aboriginal Circle
@AEideaconnector Aboriginal Entrepreneurship Idea Connector
@AFOA_Canada AFOA Canada
@AlikaMD Alika Lafontaine
@animikii Indigenous news related to health & more
@APTN Aboriginal People TV Network
@APTNInFocus APTN InFocus
@APTNNews APTN National News
@been_kownter Keith Fonstad (Director of Aboriginal Services for SK at MNP)
@bevannfox Bevann Fox
@cadmusd Cadmus Delorme
@CBCIndigenous CBC INDIGENOUS
@ccherneskey Christina Cherneskey (CKRM News Director)
@CFARsociety Circle For Aboriginal Relations Society
@CommunityPwr Community Power
@connie_walker Connie Walker
@CreesonCTV Creeson Agecoutay CTV
@CurtisStanding Curtis Standing (host of Indigenous Radio Show CFCR)
@DeannaBurgart Deanna Burgart
@DonnaHeimbecker Donna Heimbecker
@dsharpeFNUniv David Sharpe, FNUniv Chair
@Eagle_Bay Eagle Bay Financial
@empowerprogram Provides SK F. Nations & Metis entrepreneurs resources
@FHQTC FHQ Tribal Council
@FNFMB First Nations Financial Management Board
@fngovernance FN Governance
@fnha First Nations Health Authority
@FNHMA First Nations Health Managers Association
@GCIndigenous GovCan – Indigenous
@ggdevelopments George Gordon Developments
@I_Journalism Indigenous Journalism
@iispeakers International Indigenous Speakers Bureau
@ikccentre Indigenous Knowledge
@indiancountry Indian Country Today
@IndianVoiceNews Indian Voices (San Diego)
@IndigenousSK Indigenous Times
@IndigenousUofT Indigenous Studies (U of T)
@IndigPoli Indigenous Politics
@INMvmt Indigenous Nationhood
@IPHRCSask The Indigenous Peoples’ Health Research Centre (IPHRC)
@ISC_usask Indigenous Students’ Council University of Saskatchewan
@kdprettyshield1 Kyle Prettyshield (Exe Director – Health & Social – FSIN)
@KellyGerMalone Geraldine Malone (WPG)
@kerryberryxox kerry benjoe (Leader Post)
@KeyPointWealth KeyPoint Wealth
@KO_SafeWater Safe Water Project
@KProvostMBC Kelly Provost (MBC)
@lwhitecalf Lori Whitecalf (Sweetgrass Chief)
@MaeKattNP Mae Katt
@mappcanada MAPP Canada (Music, Art, People, and Places of Canada’s First Nations)
@mediaINDIGENA MEDIA INDIGENA (WPG)
@MerastyRobert Robert Merasty
@metisraven Métis Raven (Cree Métis, Nurse, Mother)
@MrGLonechild Guy Lonechild
@MuskegLake Muskeg Lake
@MykeAgecoutay Myke Agecoutay
@NACCHO Australia Aboriginal Health (Australia)
@nadasugarfree National Aboriginal Diabetes Association
@NationTalk NationTalk.ca (national Indigenous newswire)
@nativelearningc The Native Learning Center
@nelsonbirdctv Nelson Bird
@NWAC_CA Native Women’s Assoc of Canada
@NYFriendshipC Regina Friendship Cent
@PathwaysServ Pathways for Service
@PiapotFN Piapot First Nation
@SaskAdvocate Sask Advocate
@SAYMagazine SAY Magazine (WPG)
@skfncentre Natural Resource COE
@T4Gathering Treaty 4 Gathering
@TCBFHQ Edmund Bellegarde
@tgoodtrack Terry Goodtrack
@the4newo The Four Indigenous Women TV Talk Show
@theRickHarp Rick Harp (INDIGENA Producer)
@Thunderchild_FN Thunderchild FN
@tombenjoe Thomas Benjoe
@treaty4news mervin brass
@TreatyOfficeSK Treaty Commissioner
@UrbanNativeMag Urban Native Mag
@VcJonathanFSIN Vice Chief Jonathan
@WIBF_ILDII WIBF 2017
@yxeAP Saskatoon Aboriginal Professionals Association